Posted on 23rd May 2019

With the average four-year claim for travel to temporary workplaces being worth £3,000, it makes sense to check whether you’re eligible for a tax refund.

Many people find that in the course of performing their job duties, they’re required to travel to a number of sites that are not their permanent place of employment, or their employer’s main office.

This is particularly common for people in the Armed Forces or working in the construction, security, healthcare, taxi and aviation industries – although anyone who travels to temporary work sites could quality. Even if you’re a PAYE employee, if you cover the cost of this travel yourself – either driving your own vehicle or using public transport – you may be entitled to tax relief for those expenses.

But how do you know if you qualify? What is a ‘temporary workplace’?

According to HMRC’s rules, travel from your home to a usual place of work is classed as ordinary commuting and therefore isn’t eligible for tax relief.

If you’re travelling to a site for a temporary purpose or to perform a task of limited duration, that will be classed as a temporary workplace. However, if you expect to work at that site continuously for more than 24 months, it doesn’t qualify.

But if it’s a temporary site and you expect to work there for less than 24 months, that would be considered a temporary workplace by HMRC and your travel expenses to get there would be eligible for tax relief.

Still not sure whether or not you qualify? Put your mind at rest by asking us to investigate whether or not you have a claim. If you do, we’ll take care of the entire claim process and liaise with HMRC on your behalf, as well as providing tax aftercare all year round.

So, what are you waiting for? Get in touch with us today and find out how much you could claim.

Contact us